Our pet-friendly hikes never enter Yellowstone. Instead we’ll take you to the Custer Gallatin national Forest on trails better suited for dogs. So, we'll never encounter a situation where you won't be able to take your furry friends with you as long as we are hiking outside Yellowstone National Park’s technical boundaries
Hiking Outside of YellowstoneNational forests have different rules and regulations then national parks. Where national parks are specifically designated for preservation, national forests have more of a dual purpose. They can be used for forestry, fishing, and—of course—recreation. Pets still need to be leashed, but at least you can take your furry friends out to enjoy landscapes they've never seen before.
Start having conversations with your dog about the reality of bear encounters and how important it is for us to not harass the wildlife such as dogs chasing after elk!
What to Pack for the Hike
If you've booked a hike that takes place outside of Yellowstone National Park, pack the following things:
- Water—at least 2 liters. A backpack with a water bladder is strongly recommended. Drinking 3 to 5 liters of water on a hike is not uncommon when it's hot or you are underhydrated. Your water storage bag or bottle must be able to hold at least 2 liters for day hike...more for longer hikes
- Rain Jacket or poncho recommended.
- Gloves—light ones even in summer
- Bear spray—I’ll have two. Doesn't hurt for us to bring more if we have a big group
- Bug repellant—not often needed but sometimes great to have
- Day pack—holds our food and water! I'll have the first aid kit
- Clothing—light wool layers work best so you can adjust as temperature and cloud conditions change
- Shoes—hiking boots recommended. Your guide wears running shoes, but must watch our for cactus all day
- Trekking Poles—optional. It makes walking easier, up to you
- Hat and sunglasses—the suns rays impact you more at this elevation. A hat and sunglasses will provide much needed comfort
- Dog Bowl
- A Leash (If you don’t have I’ll provide)
- Dog Treats & Snacks (If you don’t have already I’ll provide)
- Food and water dish (If you don’t have I’ll provide)
*If You're Bringing a Pet